Hello from Minnesota! It’s freezing outside (the high on Christmas is only 1 degree…!), so I’m staying warm and cozy inside by the fireplace. I just finished up my Christmas shopping (thanks to Amazon Prime), and am finalizing the holiday menu.
Like Thanksgiving, this is my third Christmas eating paleo. I have a few favorite cookies I’ve made the last two years that I’ll be making again, including these Paleo Lemon Bars and these Paleo Magic Cookie Bars (a huge hit with everyone in my family!).
Yesterday I found this recipe for Thumbprint Cookies and decided to test it out. To be honest, I didn’t have super high hopes these would turn out great. Gluten-free flours can be super temperamental. However, I was blown away by how delicious these were (tastes just like shortbread!), and I got the stamp of approval from my parents and sister. I promise you that no one will know they are grain free, gluten free, vegan, paleo friendly, AND free of refined sugar! This recipe doesn’t make many cookies, so I’ll be making two more batches, one with a jam-filled base (like a traditional Thumbprint Cookie). I hope you enjoy!
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
COOK TIME: 15 Minutes
- 2 cups almond flour (I really like this brand)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder/flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, full fat
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I love these!)
- Course sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix almond flour, arrowroot powder, coconut oil and maple syrup in a large bowl
- Roll the dough into about 15 small round balls
- Place the dough on a cookie sheet and make an indent in the middle with your thumb
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned
- While the cookies are baking, melt the coconut milk and chocolate together
- When the cookies are done baking (and still warm), reinforce the thumb indent if needed
- Pour a small amount of the chocolate mixture into each cookie indent
- Once the cookies have cooled, sprinkle them with course sea salt
*Thanks to My Natural Family for such a delicious recipe!
While watching the Vikings vs. Green Bay game tonight (GO VIKES!), I’ll be busy in the kitchen trying out these Chocolate Chip Blondies, Almond Butter Buckeyes, Chocolate Crinkle Cookies and this Paleo Deep Dish Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet. I’ll let you know how they taste! Let me know if you try any of the recipes and what you think. What is your favorite Christmas cookie? Let me know in the comments below!
Wishing you all an amazing holiday!